Friday, October 3, 2014

Character Interview: Maurelle Auri

Time for another interview! Finally. I'm really trying to focus on Maurelle right now, because I feel like I've been ignoring her. She's gone through some changes lately -- for starters, she went from being 18 to being 16. And I just feel like I've learned a lot about what makes her tick. So, without further ado, here is Maurelle's interview! (Ooh, rhymey.)


Me: Hello, Maurelle. Thank you for letting me interview you.

Maurelle: My pleasure! Who doesn’t love a good excuse to talk about themselves?

Me: Mind if we jump right in?

Maurelle: Sounds good!

Me: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Maurelle: Hmm… oh, that’s easy. Back in Fairyland, I helped set up this huge illusion to make The Council think that my entire family had died. It was really cool, and, you know, saved a lot of lives.

Me: That is an impressive achievement.

Maurelle: Thanks!

Me: What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Maurelle: Flying on the back of a griffin. The wind in your hair, and the world with all its troubles far below you. It’s the best feeling ever!

Me: What about now that you live in New York?

Maurelle: Now I like to go to the park and play my harp. Being outside, surrounded by trees, with people enjoying my music… it’s almost like being back at home.

Me: You really miss it, don’t you?

Maurelle: Yeah, but New York is great, too! There’s so many people and everything moves so fast. It’s exciting.

Me: What is your current state of mind?

Maurelle: Ooh, um… I dunno’. Kinda’ scattered, I guess. (laughs) But that’s nothing new. Um, just pretty cheerful. And kinda’ antsy. You know, like there’s something I’m supposed to be doing.

Me: Is there? Am I keeping you from something?

Maurelle: No, no, it’s nothing like that. It’s like… there’s something big waiting for me. But I usually feel like that. Kinda’ silly, isn’t it?

Me: Oh, I don’t think so.

Maurelle: Well, it’s nice to know at least one person thinks I’m not crazy. (laughs)

Me: What is your most treasured possession?

Maurelle: My harp. It makes me think of home -- it’s the only thing I brought with me. And I love to play!

Me: What or who is the greatest love of your life?

Maurelle: Jak. It’s probably kinda’ dorky to say my brother, but he’s just always been there for me, you know? He got me out of Fairyland and he’s protected me ever since. And he’s a total sweetheart under that ridiculously gruff act he puts on.

Me: What is your most marked characteristic?

Maurelle: My cheerfulness!

Me: That’s funny, your brother said the same thing about himself.

Maurelle: Jak??

Me: I think he was being sarcastic.

Maurelle: He usually is. He’s so funny.

Me: When and where were you happiest?

Maurelle: Back home, before everything happened. But I’m pretty happy now, if a bit stir-crazy.

Me: What is it that you most dislike?

Maurelle: Feeling useless.

Me: What is your greatest fear?

Maurelle: Wow, these questions are kinda’ personal, aren’t they?

Me: Just trying to learn as much as I can about you. It is my job.

Maurelle: I guess so. Well, I suppose I’m most afraid of losing Jak. Ok, now it sounds like we have a really weird relationship, but, well, I just lost so much family, you know? Jak’s all I have left. He’s my only family and the only one who knows what I am. I don’t know what I’d do without him.

Me: What is your greatest extravagance?

Maurelle: I spend way too much money on sugar. But I can’t help it! If I had to go a week without cookies, I think I’d probably die.

Me: Which living person do you most despise?

Maurelle: Donella Rhoswen.

Me: She’s the one who…?

Maurelle: Yup.

Me: What is your greatest regret?

Maurelle: …leaving Fairyland. I mean, I had to. I know I had to. Jak and I were just kids and there wasn’t anything we could do. I got him out of there, and that was something. But I gave up who I am. I lost our wings. And I left. The Council’s in charge of Fairyland now. Who knows what horrors are happening there? And I’m just… here. Baking cookies and playing music and…. (sighs)

Me: I’m sorry.

Maurelle: No. It’s alright. Jak and I are safe. We’ve started a new life; a great life. And it’ll only get better. I’m sure of that.

Me: What talent would you most like to have?

Maurelle: I’d kinda’ like to be able to write. You know, I’ve got so many great stories in my head -- after what I’ve been through, I should have -- but when I sit down to put them on paper, my whole brain just goes blank. Which is funny, ‘cause I’m not usually at a loss for words; you’ve probably noticed. But I can’t seem to figure out how to tell my story. Or I’d like to be able to draw, but that takes way too much patience. I guess I’ll just have to be content to play my feelings out through the harp.

Me: Do you ever write songs?

Maurelle: Music, yeah, though I don’t know much about writing it down, so I usually play my own stuff and then forget it. I couldn’t write lyrics to save my life.

Me: Where would you like to live?

Maurelle: Oh, I like it here. Maybe a bigger apartment would be nice. And, of course, I’d love to live back in Cridomus. But, you know, you take what you can get.

Me: What do you regard as the lowest depths of misery?

Maurelle: (gets quiet, a thoughtful look on her face) I dunno’…

Me: You can’t think of anything?

Maurelle: I can think of lots of things. But I prefer not to.

Me: What quality do you most like in a man?

Maurelle: Kindness.

Me: How about in a woman?

Maurelle: Probably also kindness. People should just be nice.

Me: What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Maurelle: Cheery questions, these. Um… I can be a bit rash. I freak Jak out sometimes by doing crazy things without thinking.

Me: What is the trait you most deplore in others?

Maurelle: Indifference. Not caring about what’s going on in other people’s lives. Not being curious.

Me: Why does that bother you so?

Maurelle: Because if no one’s ever curious, nothing will ever be discovered. And if you don’t know or care about what’s going on with the people around you, you’ll never be able to help when they need it.

Me: What do you most value in your friends?

Maurelle: Interestingness. I like people who have good stories to tell.

Me: Who are your heroes?

Maurelle: All of my family, and those who died trying to protect them.

Me: Which living person do you most admire?

Maurelle: I find that most people I meet have something to admire. We’re all struggling, you know? But people get up and they do things, every day. That’s amazing. But if I had to be specific, I’d probably say Jak again. Probably just ‘cause he’s the person I know the best. I know what his struggles are, and I see him move past them. And he takes care of me; it’s hard not to love him for that. Even if he does drive me crazy.

Me: What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Maurelle: Patience. I’m done with it! But maybe I just need more of it…. Meh.

Me: On what occasions do you lie?

Maurelle: Whenever the truth needs sprucing up!

Me: Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Maurelle: A lot! I’ve noticed I’ve started saying, “You know?” a lot. But I’m always picking up weird phrases and using them way too much.

Me: If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Maurelle: I’d have fairy wings again. Or I’d be better at thinking things through before jumping in.

Me: What are your favorite names?

Maurelle: That’s kind of a random question after all the “dig deep into your soul” questions we’ve had! Um… I like the name Quillion. Because… Quillion. Yeah, that doesn’t actually need explaining.

Me: How would you like to die?

Maurelle: Not at all? Is that an option? If not, I’d want to die saving someone. In fact, I’d really like that. Maybe in a big battle; or maybe just shoving someone out of the way of a bus.

Me: If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?

Maurelle: A griffin! At least, I hope so. Because that would be wonderful.

Me: What is your motto?

Maurelle: “Keep smiling!” Or something corny like that. (laughs)

Me: Well, that’s it for my questions. Thanks for doing this.

Maurelle: It was fun! We’ll have to get together again and I can interview you.

Me: I look forward to it. Bye, Maurelle.

Maurelle: Goodbye~!


Questions were taken from this site. Read Jak's interview here

♥/Kat!e

No comments: