Saturday, August 9, 2014

Character Interview: Verijak Auri

I haven't done much writing lately. I've just been really sick, and not up to much. But that doesn't mean my characters are leaving me alone. Yesterday, I decided I'd like to do some character interviews. Here's my first one, for my character Verijak Auri, better known as Jak Day, from my book Magicland.


Me: Hey, Jak, thanks for meeting with me today.

Jak: …

Me: So… do you mind if I just dive right in?

Jak: …

Me: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Jak: Keeping Maurelle alive.

Me: That’s been a challenge?

Jak: No, keeping a wanted fugitive hidden and alive in a strange city during a financial depression is a cakewalk.

Me: No need to be sarcastic.

Jak: *snorts*

Me: What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Jak: Safety. And plenty to eat.

Me: Have those things been difficult to attain?

Jak: “Wanted fugitive,” “financial depression.”

Me: *reading from interview questions* “What is your current state of mind?” I can answer that one: Snarky.

Jak: *smirks*

Me: What is your current occupation?

Jak: Enforcer.

Me: Do you like the work?

Jak: No.

Me: What would you like to do instead?

Jak: *shrugs*

Me: If you could have any job you wanted.

Jak: Gee, I think I’d drive an ice cream truck.

Me: Are you going to be this sarcastic the whole time?

Jak: Yes.

Me: *purses lips* What are your hobbies?

Jak: Weaponry. Fighting.

Me: What or who is the greatest love of your life?

Jak: My .45. *draws the gun and twirls it around his finger*

Me: What do you think is your most marked characteristic?

Jak: My sunny disposition.

Me: I’m going to smack you.

Jak: *smirks*

Me: When and where were you happiest?

Jak: When I was a child. Back in Fairyland.

Me: Are you happy in New York?

Jak: *shrugs*

Me: What is it that you most dislike?

Jak: The Council. Though ‘dislike’ is a mild term.

Me: What is your greatest fear?

Jak: Losing my sister.

Me: What is your greatest regret?

Jak: *hand tightens on his gun* Next question.

Me: You promised you would help with the interview.

Jak: I let my family die, ok? I failed to protect them. Is that an interesting enough regret for your interview?

Me: I’m sorry.

Jak: *settles back in his chair, frowning*

Me: Um… which talent would you most like to have?

Jak: I’d be able to drive.

Me: Have you ever tried to learn?

Jak: Never had the chance.

Me: If you could live anywhere, where would you choose?

Jak: Cridomus, Fairyland.

Me: That’s your hometown, isn’t it?

Jak: *nods*

Me: What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Jak: Failure.

Me: What quality do you admire most in a man?

Jak: Strength.

Me: How about in a woman?

Jak: Loyalty.

Me: Have you ever been in love?

Jak: No. Though I may have thought I was.

Me: You thought you were?

Jak: What seventeen year old doesn’t?

Me: Who was she?

Jak: *shrugs* There were a few.

Me: Anyone special?

Jak: No.

Me: Is there anyone special in your life now?

Jak: No.

Me: Would you like to get married?

Jak: Are you proposing?

Me: What? *laughs* Would you have me?

Jak: No.

Me: I’m so flattered. No, I meant, do you plan on ever getting married?

Jak: No.

Me: Why not?

Jak: I have other responsibilities.

Me: You mean, to Maurelle? But what about when she gets married?

Jak: I guess we’ll see.

Me: What trait do you most deplore in yourself?

Jak: You’re really not fussy about asking personal questions, are you?

Me: A good interview probes to the heart of things. So…?

Jak: Any form of incompetency.

Me: What do you most deplore in others?

Jak: The same. And an indisposition to correct it.

Me: What do you most value in your friends?

Jak: Don’t really have any.

Me: Um… who are your heroes?

Jak: *shrugs* They’re all dead, so what does it matter?

Me: Who were they?

Jak: Warriors. Men of courage.

Me: Which living person do you most admire?

Jak: Maurelle. She’s remained positive through all this.

Me: What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Jak: Charity. In the end, sacrifice is vain.

Me: Do you really believe that?

Jak: I’ve seen it.

Me: On what occasions do you lie?

Jak: Any that call for it.

Me: If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Jak: I would be broader, and maybe not so tall.

Me: If you could choose how you were to die, what would it be?

Jak: Quickly.

Me: What is your motto?

Jak: “Constant vigilance.”

Me: Perfect. Well, I’ll stop tormenting you now. Thanks for the interview.

Jak: *nods and leaves*


Questions were taken from this page. Read Maurelle's interview here!

♥/Kat!e

No comments: