Saturday, June 22, 2013

Writing Conference and an Ulcer

It's 6:30 a.m. and I'm awake! Must be something important and exciting -- like Christmas or a doctor's appointment. Or, better by far, The Teen Writers Conference!!


This is one of my favorite writing conferences! It's small, intimate, and completely geared at teens! I have been going since its inception five years ago. This will my last year I can go, since I won't be a teen anymore after this. But, if I publish a book this year, I could go back as a presenter.... That is my true dream, and one of my main motivators for trying so hard to get published this year. That's probably a silly motivator but, you know, whatever keeps you working, right? Besides, silliness is one of my best qualities 

It's a real blessing that I'm even going to make it to the Conference this year, and I don't just mean that I feel well enough to go this morning. I actually completely forgot that the Conference was today. It has been so hectic since we started moving... a year ago. We have been looking at the same house for an entire year. We're still not in it; I am currently invading my cousins' house. Somehow, not having a house of our own has thrown my parents and I completely out of whack. This is not the first time we've gotten dates wrong. However, last night I was checking my e-mail and saw that Annette Lyon had e-mailed to let us know that credit cards would be accepted at the bookstore tomorrow. I am so grateful for that e-mail!

You know what else I'm grateful for? Ulcers. Well, not really. Just one particular ulcer. Turns out, I have one. Which could be why I am sick all the time. It is an esophageal ulcer, and, hopefully, the cause of all my symptoms. If so, it could potentially be cured within the month. It's possible that I will be a normal (well....) person in only a few weeks!!

Also, in a few weeks, I should hear back about my manuscript.... Guys, I am going to have a nervous breakdown by then!! It's killing me! I swear to Shakespeare, I am going to explode long before I get my response. I've officially convinced myself that they're not going to accept it. I was rereading it the other day, and even my first three chapters still need a lot of work... I don't even want to think about the rest of the manuscript..... Times like these, I question my choice to become a writer. Then I remember that it wasn't actually a choice. Being a writer is just something you're stuck with, for better or for worse.

Hopefully the Conference today will inspire me to edit The Witch's Key -- or at least kick me into gear to work on Codswallop's story. It's been a few days since I've done any real writing. Though, to be fair, it's been kind of an emotional time. I have been sick for six years. I'm not sure I really believe yet that my ulcer is the cause of that, and that I could actually be well in a few weeks. I'm not sure I even know what being well means. I can't imagine what that would feel like.

Alright, enough sappiness. I need to go make sure my lunch is ready and that I know where I'm going. Eating breakfast might also be a good idea. Oooh! do you want to see a picture of my stomach?? And by "picture of my stomach" I mean the inside of my stomach!! I'm'a post it -- if you don't want to see some grossness, don't scroll down.

Live long and prosper, my lovelies!




Gross picture of ulcer below!














Keep scrolling at your own risk!
















Just know, it's kind of icky.











But also kind of awesome.






♥/Kat!e

No comments: