Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Challenge: A Book Your Mom Loves

Book: The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart
Pages: 270
Date Read: 2/17 - 2/23/2015
Rating: ☆ ☆ 


Other Categories this book could 
have fit into:
A classic romance - does Mary Stewart count as "classic"? I feel like she does
A mystery or thriller - I mean, not technically, but it has elements of both
A book set in a different country - England
A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit - and the descriptions made it sound especially beautiful
A book by an author you've never read before - unless you count reading the first few pages of The Crystal Cave when I was twelve

This book was a high 3-star for me. I did really like it. Especially the beginning.

The first-person narrator is super interesting. She's dry and snarky, and certainly unreliable. Some of the sections are so beautifully cryptic.

All of the characters are interesting and it's hard to tell who to like. I adore Julie and Donald. Con was ridiculously fascinating, and Lisa as well. And I have mixed feelings about Adam, but he was certainly well-crafted.

I definitely got caught up in the intrigue and some of the moments are pretty intense. However, the drama was a little high for my tastes. The real reason this book only received three stars is that Gothic Romance just isn't my genre. I didn't care about a lot of the things going on, and did not get even marginally invested in the love story. Still, there were enough other things going on that my interest held.

I was sort of let down by the ending, and I lost my desire to seek out more of Mary Stewart's books -- or at least any of her others in this genre. Still, this story was beautifully told and plenty intriguing. It wasn't too heavy on the drama. If you like clean Gothic Romances, then this book is definitely worth a read.

♥/Kat!e  

No comments: