Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Challenge: A Book Based on a TV Show

Book: Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (parts 1, 2, and 3) by Gene Luen Yang, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, and Gurihiru
Pages: 76 each, 228 total
Date Read: 01/19/15
Rating: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

Other Categories this book could 
have fit into:
A book with nonhuman characters - a couple spirits and, of course, Appa (no sign of Momo, though)
A funny book - classic Sokka
A book set in a different country - mainly the Fire Nation
A book you can finish in a day - reading all three books took about as long as watching an episode of the show
A trilogy
A book with magic - well, bending
A graphic novel


I honestly enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It felt very much like an episode of the show. Maybe not one of the best episodes, but certainly on-par with the average ones. 

Most importantly, it answered a question that has been killing me since the show ended -- what happened to Zuko's mother?? I'm not sure how canonical this book is considered, but I really like the answer it gives and am completely willing to accept it. It kind of broke my heart, but in a good way. 

This book is getting four stars because, for what it is, it was awesome and I was pleasantly surprised. I came out of it feeling totally satisfied. I'm actually thinking of tracking down the other graphic novels for this show, even though I don't have any more pressing questions, that's how much I liked it. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the show and is dying to know what happened to Zuko's mother. 

♥/Kat!e 

No comments: