Monday, March 21, 2011

Colors in the Sky



Salibar lounged in the old rocking chair that sat on the rickety porch of his ancient little house. These things he had built with his own hands what felt like eons before. He was in the twilight of his life, and felt he had earned a chance to relax.

Unfortunately, it seemed fate did not agree with him. A myriad of colors filled the sky, appearing like the careless strokes of a brush against canvass. These colors gave off an aura of magic, of mystery.

To Salibar, they could mean only one thing: the time had come.

*

“I tell you, I’m too old for this sort of thing!” Salibar shouted into the glass. The teenage girl reflected there folded her arms, looking cross.

“Now, Sally, don’t be that way. You know you’re the only one who can save that poor boy. You've been planning this for years – since before most of us were born.”

“I expected the sign to come much sooner,” Salibar said, “I would never have agreed to this if I’d known I would have to get up and go just as I should have been lying down to rest.”

“Don’t talk like that!” the girl said, her blue eyes widening in shock, “You’re not as old as all that.”

“I’m nine hundred and six next Wednesday.”

“Yes, well, be that as it may, you did agree to this job, and someone has to do it. If we don’t save the boy, the elderbars will get him, and you know what that would mean.”

“Oh, yes, the end of the world and all that. What would I care? I’d be dead!”

“Salibar, if I have to get Jac in here to convince you--”

“You know, in my day little twerps like you respected their elders.”

“Yes, yes, and you had to walk a mile in the snow to school, uphill both ways. For your information, Sally, there is a war going on. Rumor has it this boy has great powers – we want him on our side. You’re the only one who can find him. Now go. All you’ve got to do is find the boy and get him to Kae. Then you can die all you want.”

♥Kat!e
Today's Novel Idea Prompted by:
Image below, courtesy of Dragon Writing Prompts

No comments: